The Prairie Region of Photographic Arts is a regional association of amateur photographers in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, who have a wide variety of photographic interests and experience. There are two classes of membership in PRPA—Individual and Club.
Individual Membership in PRPA provides you:
- participation in print and digital image competitions
- participation in the print circuits
- the quarterly newsletter “Prairie Focus”
Club Membership provides all members of your club:
- participation in the two club competitions
- participation in the Hand of Man competition
- the quarterly newsletter “Prairie Focus” by email
PRPA provides the opportunity to compete with other amateur photographers beyond your local camera club. This is especially advantageous for members of small clubs or individuals in areas lacking a club. The competitions are friendly and the judges’ comments provide helpful feedback on ideas to improve your photos. Prizes are certificates and ribbons.
PRPA member clubs take turns judging the competitions. Each club is requested to judge at least one competition each year.
Fall Competitions—November 15 deadline
- Everest Club Competition—digital image
- Hand of Man—online digital image competition
- Russell—pair of images depicting opposites on a given theme
- Fall Digital Image competition
- Ann Dies Digital Slideshow competition
Spring Competitions—April 1 deadline
- Gerry Fish Club Competition—print competition
- Attanyi Salon—print competition
- Human Portraiture—print competition
- Sports in Action—print competition
- Curtiss Lund Altered Reality—print competition
- Portfolio Print competition
- Spring Digital Image competition
Outing Competitions—deadlines TBA
- Showmanship—slide show competition held at the Outing
- Outing Competition—prints and digital images of photos taken at the June Outing
The PRPA print circuits provides an opportunity to have your photos critiqued by other circuit members. The circuits can be especially valuable for individual members who have no active camera club nearby. Learn from positive criticism of your work and evaluate the work of others. It can be fun!
The Prairie Focus Newsletter
This quarterly newsletter keeps the members of PRPA informed and in touch. The newsletter contains:
- information on upcoming PRPA competitions & events
- competition results and images of winning photos
- club reports describing activities of other camera clubs
- reports on the PRPA board meetings and AGM
At www.prpa.photography you will find:
- more details of PRPA events, competitions and services
- results and winning images of past competitions and circuits
- past issues of the Prairie Focus newsletter
- contact information and links to member camera clubs
PRPA Annual June Outing
The biggest event of the PRPA year is the annual outing which takes place on a weekend in June.
The Outing begins on Friday evening with the Annual General Meeting and a presentation by a guest speaker. A variety of photographic tours and workshops are offered on Saturday morning & afternoon and on Sunday morning. The banquet and awards presentations are held on Saturday evening and include the Showmanship slide show competition and a slideshow of entries from the year’s digital competitions. Prints entered in the print competitions are on display during the weekend.
The best part of the Outing is the opportunity to meet and fellowship with other PRPA members, and to view the photographs they had entered in the competitions during the previous year. Member clubs of the PRPA take turns hosting the Outing.
Member clubs of the PRPA take turns hosting the Outing. The Outing usually takes place on a weekend in mid June at a location alternating between Alberta and Saskatchewan.